Utsuho Reiuji (also affectionately known as "Okuu") is a Hell Raven with the ability to manipulate nuclear fusion. In Subterranean Animism, She uses her powers for the fitting purpose of conquering the world, - or at least that was her plan until Reimu thwarted her schemes and put her in her place. Interestingly, Utsuho marks the first antagonist in the Touhou series to lack an ulterior motive of some sort, making her an actual villain (a Touhou Project first). According to soku's story and in-game dialogue, Utsuho is a tad on the stupid side - which is chilling, considering the kind of raw destructive power she has control over.
Unlike a certain other black bird youkai in the roster, Utsuho has more in common with ranged-melee heavy hitters like Alice Margatroid and Iku Nagae. Utsuho suffers from having one of the worst movements and flight in the game. She is NOT strong both in the air and in close quarters, and can easily be beaten out by quicker players ranging from Youmu to even Yuyuko. This problem is further exacerbated by the fact that Okuu has no defensive options when she's pressured up close and must rely heavily on Bombs and Guard Hangekis to break out of serious pressure. A ton of patience and tenacity is required to utilize Utsuho effectively.
Okuu has a great set of normal bullets for coverage and piercing, and her 5C is even capable of destroying Yukari's lasers. She can easilly clear the screen of enemy bullets with very little effort, often forcing the opponent to come in close if they wish to deal damage. Don't underestimate her speed, as her melee - quite effective despite an unusual range - will make quick work of overaggressive opponents if she has the proper spacing. Utsuho is best played alternating between a defensive and offensive manner as circumstances dictate - this stems from her powerful, ultra-dense shots and formidable melee, and her passive-aggressive combat style means she can switch up with few changes in pace in skilled hands. This makes it extremely difficult for enemies to close in, as they risk powerful bullets and an even more formidable bout of melee punch, and easily intimidates foes - especially unfamiliar ones - into making poor decisions while on the offensive. Even the most hard-edged player breaks out in a cold sweat at the prospect of her offensive punch, and exploiting this is the key to being a good Okuu player.
Unique Features Edit
Moving with Okuu:
- Utsuho's ground dash launches her forward significantly and cannot be canceled early. Keep this in mind, as Okuu can't quickly stop her dash and melee like other characters unless she goes directly into a dashing attack (66A, 66B, 66C).
- Utsuho's back dash goes very far backwards, has startup invincibility and a lot of graze frames. Is an absolute lifesaver. Use this move if you are being pressure stringed midscreen to get some distance. It also isn't bad on wakeup, but keep in mind if you are in the corner its effectiveness is reduced almost to nothing.
- Utsuho jumps and highjumps significantly higher than other characters, and she's also slower on the ascent/descent.
- Her flight and airdashing behave almost the polar opposite of other characters: instead of tapping the 66/44 directions twice to quickly air dash a short burst forward, Utsuho pauses a moment before leaping across the screen. Tapping 6D/4D instead lets Utsuho move a shorter distance forward with shorter startup. However the rule of aerial attacks out of movement still applies, you will be able to get out a jumping attack faster after an airdash than with her fly.
- Despite being allegedly slow and thus being vulnerable to being cornered, this is not quite as true as people claim. Her dashing 66C covers an enormous amount of ground, as does her default 214B. Her 214C makes a good retreat move, and making things a bit more interesting, both moves can be done in the air, and are hard to punish mid-flight. Do not exploit these moves too much (predictability leads to defeat), and you will find her mobility can be quite impressive.
- One last thing to note: She's huge. Utsuho has the largest sprite in the game bar none, as well as the second-largest hitbox. This renders her somewhat more vulnerable against certain characters with superior mobility and options for dealing with you in-close (read: Cirno).
Hisoutensoku 1.10 ChangesEdit
- Utsuho is now overall faster. Appears to fall faster as with a majority of the cast.
- 6B travels faster and is bigger. To compensate it is less dense and travels slightly less than in 1.03.
- 6C charged seems to have more height at long range (?).
- 66B is now slightly faster.
- 66C no longer lifts as high and travels far less than before.
- Ground Melt (236) has a delayed explosion to replace the original "fizz." Shakes the screen for fun.
- Hell Geyser (alt 236) will now no longer stay on floor as it vanishes after used. Has a much later high jump cancel.
- Shooting Star (214) the bullets juggles a little before moving, purely esthetic.
- Shooting Sun (alt 22) is much more powerful, range covers up the entire y-axis of the map. Damage has increased sharply.
- Flare Up (623) is now much smaller than before. Leveling the skill though increases size and damage.
- Break Sun (22C) now gains more bullets as the skill is leveled up.
- "Fixed Star" (3) seems to be faster (?) and travels less far (?). Takes an 45° angle on bounce (downward if launched in air, upward on ground).
- "Subterranean Sun" (4) will now pull the opponent towards the sun.
- Geothermal "Atomic Blaze Geyser" '(4) now does exactly 3.3k damage.'
- "Ten Evil Stars" (4) now does about 4.9k damage. Still retains startup invulnerability.
Normal Moves Edit
|Close 5A||Utsuho does an upward kick. Hits high. Decent anti-air like Komachi's 5A, but can be airblocked. Raises her hitbox so will dodge some lows. Launches crazy high on aerial counterhit, so tag on a 2C. Ground counterhits causes the enemy to spin around, however this usually pushes them too far out for a 6A after 5AA, so keep this in mind.||High|
|5AA||Overhead swipe with the buster arm. Cancelable into command normals/specials/supers.|
|5AAA||A stomp. If blocked, drains one orb from the opponent.||Low|
|5AAAA||Utsuho hits the opponent with a cape uppercut. Cancelable only into spellcards.|
|Far 5A||An overhead swipe with the buster arm, looks like her 5AA. Very good range, a lot of the time you will be throwing this out as a poke to prevent people from getting too close. Be aware if someone reads the whiff though.||High|
|Far 5[A]||Same as 5A.||High||Guard crushes if blocked low.|
|2A||Pokes low with her buster.||Low||Drains 1 spirit orb if wrongblocked.|
|3A||Utsuho's cape uppercut as seen on the fourth hit of her Dial-A combo. This move has surprising range and is a great meaty attack for oki or overaggressive people, and is wonderful melee anti-air against jump-ins and techs. One of Utsuho's best ground moves; use it to keep opponents wary. Terrible when whiffed.||High|
|3[A]||Same as 3A. Unfortunately the recovery on a 3[A] is so huge that even if you successfully crush you can not follow up with anything at all.||High||Guard crushes if blocked low.|
|6A||Utsuho's stomp, as seen on the third hit of the Dial-A combo. Can followup with a normal 6A in the stagger period.||Low|
|6[A]||Same as 6A.||Low||Guard crushes if blocked high.|
|j.5A||Horizontal buster arm swipe in the air. Very very good horizontal range, can cross up and hits behind her. Your preferred aerial normal. Hitbox not quite as extensive as it looks vertically.||High|
|j.6A||Utsuho glows gold and charges forward in the air hitting the opponent. Covers a good distance, has lots of active frames, and is decent for graze and tech punishing. SLOW on startup, be aware of characters with fast j.As as more than likely you will be counterhit out of the startup frames. Cancel into j.22B/C on block to make the move safe.||High|
|j.8A||Utsuho does a backflip kick hitting above her. Useful when the opponent likes to tech or fly above you.||High|
|j.2A||Utsuho hits directly below her with her Megabuster. Unfortunately no horizontal range at all.||High|
|j.2[A]||Similar to j.2A, but hits with the buster arm first, then fires a projectile shot that groundslams. Unfortunately no horizontal range at all.||High, High|
|66A||An overhead swipe with the buster arm while dashing. Basically, it's her Far 5A, but hits while dashing. Questionable block and hit stun - several players have supposedly been hit out of attempting a 5A followup on a successful hit. Generally, her weakest Dash move.||High|
|66B||Utsuho cancels her dash into a quick backwards fly while swinging her buster like her jA. Has a decent range, used mostly to break through blockstrings with bullet gaps. Overall a decent Dash move.||Wallslams. Grazes.|
|66C||Utsuho dashes and does a leaping flip kick that hits twice. She gets some pretty wicked air, and it can be used full screen to catch fliers for some amusing results. Vulnerable until she lands, but not always easily punishable. Can be a surprisingly good move if not abused too heavily - does good damage, functions as an anti-air, and is one of Okuu's only moves with virtually no start-up lag.||High, High|
Bullet Moves Edit
|Move||Description||Max Damage||Proration||# of Projectiles||Limit||Notes|
|5B||Utsuho throws 5 small bolts in an arc. Has decent coverage and a relatively quick start-up, useful to get out against opponents at close to midrange.||5|
|5[B]||Same as 5B, but with more bullets and can be held to delay the shot. It can also be completely canceled as a feitn so that it fires no bolts into another projectile.||10|
|6B||Fires a giant atom that travels forward slowly and stays out for an annoyingly long time. Sort of like Yuyuko's 6C, but even more annoying. This move is interesting: the core is vulnerable to bullets and disappears if it hits a target, but the two little green atoms flying around it are very dense and eat through weak bullets, and also don't disappear if they hit the opponent's body cleanly. Use this against melee heavy characters such as Meiling in conjunction with your own melee to keep them out.||1|
|2B||Utsuho fires the same 5 bolts above herself, but in an arc that travels about 30-40 degrees from in front of her head into the back. Not bad anti-air for enemies flying or teching directly above you.||5|
|2[B]||Same as 2B, but similar to 5[B] in that it can be canceled into another projectile and can be held to delay the shot.||10|
|j.5B||Same as 5B.||5|
|j.5[B]||Same as 5[B].||10|
|j.2B||Downward angled j.5B.||5|
|j.2[B]||Same as j.5B, but unlike 2[B] and 5[B], cannot be held down to delay the shot. Is still cancellable into another projectile however.||10|
|j.6B||Same as 6B.|
|5C||Utsuho releases a large burst of energy from her evil eye that travels at a fast speed. The startup is a bit slow on the slow side, but Okuu generates the energy ball (roughly the same size as herself) in front of herself before hurling it. This bullet is INCREDIBLY dense, instantly neutralizing things like Reimu's amulets to Komachi's wisps, and even entirely wiping out Yukari's 5C lasers while still retaining its offensive power. Great to trade with opponents in bullet spamming battles. Will still lose to real laser class projectiles like Reisen 214 or Utsuho's own lasers.||1|
|5[C]||Same as 5C, but gains several smaller projectiles that orbits the regular shot.|
|2C||Utsuho kneels and fires a laser beam at a roughly 35 degree angle off the ground. This is pretty good anti-air at the right angle, and can even hit opponents on the ground if they're close enough.||1|
|6C||Utsuho fires a horizontal laser, much like Marisa's 6C. Good to use once in while to catch opponents off guard as a piercing move, but don't overdo it, since 5C is a lot better at bullet trading while forcing the opponent to block or graze out of the way.||1|
|j.5C||Same as 5C.||1|
|j.5[C]||Same as 5[C].||1|
|j.2C||Same as 6C, but angled downwards.||1|
|j.6C||Same as 6[C].||1|
Special Moves Edit
| Ground Melt -- 236B/C (Also in Air)
Flavor Text: Sears the ground with her control rod. The actual heat wave has no hitbox, but the ground explodes in this attack.
Utsuho fires a laser at the ground, causing it to melt and deal damage to opponents on the ground. Starts angled down in front of her, and then goes forward across the entire screen. Against certain characters can be used as a full screen tech trap after 5C if they attempt to graze along the ground as it will knock them out of their dash recovery. The laser itself does not hit anything despite appearances so it doesn't hit anything more than a couple centimetres above ground. Like many moves Utsuho has, this move can be done in the air. If done in the air, this move still rakes along at ground level, making it an unbelievably effective move for catching opponents off-guard when used for fake-outs. This is especially true if you invested in it to level 3 or 4, where the resulting fire pillars expand the range upwards. As of 1.10, the pillars are much sparser when used in the air.
| Flare Up -- 623B/C
Flavor Text: Shoots nuclear radiation around, which then ascends in a helix and burns enemies. At higher levels, Okuu herself also becomes a hitbox.
| Shooting Star -- 214B/C (Also in Air)
Flavor Text: Moves diagonally upwards and leaves a trail of energy balls behind her. They begin moving outwards after a short time delay. She has no idea she's attacking, she just thinks she's moving.
| Break Sun -- 22B/C (Chargeable, Also in Air)
Flavor Text: Creates a sun-like object above her head, and pulses light particles at the enemy. Holding the button down will make the attack stronger.
Alternate Skill Cards Edit
| Hell Geyser -- 236B/C
Flavor Text: Creates a nuclear reaction underground and shoots the energy diagonally upwards at the enemy. Can also shoot towards the enemy at the back, so it's quite easy to try to use this skill in chains.
| Radiant Blade -- 236B/C
Flavor Text: Charges up energy until she gets close to the enemy and then fires it at her. A move between a charge and a projectile, useful for whittling down the opponent's spirit.
Utsuho charges forward, surrounded by a yellow glow. Once her charge has ended naturally or she contacts an opponent, she then immediately lunges back and fires a 3-hit blast with her cannon.
| Rocket Dive -- 623B/C (Also in Air)
Flavor Text: Propels herself forward using nuclear fusion and attacks. Huge hitbox and is extremely powerful, but she's quite exposed after she moves off the screen, which is a problem.
Utsuho braces herself, and then flies straight forward as bursts of nuclear energy encase her wings. Forces limit on hit. When finished, will vanish into the edge of the screen she charged into, before popping back out and slowly falling to the ground. Wide, fast hitbox but vulnerable to punishment on whiff (or block - there is no collision hitbox so you will go right through anyway). No invulnerability or graze frames throughout the entire duration, either; this is no conquer dive.
| Melting Pummel Kick -- 623B/C
Flavor Text: Pins down the enemy and stomps her with her left foot, infused with fission energy. The move is a kind of throw, so it can't be blocked; the enemy is at Okuu's mercy.
| Retro Atomic Model -- 214B/C (Air also)
Flavor Text: An energy ball spins and follows Okuu. The ball itself can be used as a shield or a weapon, and is an excellent tool for Okuu, whose moves are usually very wide and sweeping.
Utsuho summons a teal orb that floats around her for a few seconds. Upon contact with an enemy they receive damage. It has a lot of startup so must be used carefully. The orbs can also be neutralised by enemy projectiles and aren't too dense themselves - in addition, their hitbox is pretty much what it looks like, meaning it doesn't really cover you while the orbs are in their "behind/infront of Utsuho" part of the animation. Using this move again in a row will not cancel out the previous orbs; the new orbs will be added to the existing orbit to create a thicker, less exposed ring (but not for long...). Orbs will not overlap; they will be spaced apart at equal intervals in a circle.
| Vengeful Nuclear Spirits -- 214B/C (Air also)
Flavor Text: The B button places a nuclear marker. The C button unleashes a wave of energy from the marker using Okuu as a vertex. If you move after the attack starts, the energy waves will adjust accordingly.
| Shooting Sun -- 22B/C
Flavor Text: Collects nuclear energy over her head and throws it at the ground. She can collect energy for as long as she wants, and the projectile is not affected by other bullets until it explodes.
Hisoutensoku 1.10 change - This move has turned into a very powerful attack. horizontal axis of the hitbox remains but the vertical axis is as tall as the entire map. Damage has doubled, as much as Rocket Dive. Great anti-air move.
| Hell Wave Cannon -- 22B/C (Chargable, Also in Air)
Flavor Text: Unleashes waves of light, then gathers and points them to fire in any direction she wants. Holding down the button concentrates fires and makes the attack as powerful as possible.
Like many of Utsuho's moves, this can be done in the air.
"Hell's Artificial Sun" -- 1+ Cards
Flavor Text: Creates an energy mass that has gravity, and shoots it forwards. She will continue to inject energy into this mass. This massive attack uses up all the cards in her hand.
| Control "Self Tokamak" -- 2 Cards
Flavor Text: Fusion energy surrounds Okuu and activates when she flies or dashes towards the enemy. Requires precision, so a bird-brain like Okuu can't think of any other attacks while using this one.
Light Cover "Nuclear Visor" -- 2 Cards
Flavor Text: Creates a barrier in front of her, which can take a few attacks. The barrier will continue to be in front of Okuu until a certain amount of time passes.
| Explosion Sign "Mega Flare" -- 3 Cards
Flavor Text: Collects nuclear energy and fires. A very simple and high-powered attack, virtually impossible to erase from the front.
Utsuho shoots out a massive orb of fusion from the jewel on her chest. When done in the air the blast angles downward at a 45 degree angle. 6 hits, 3,036 damage 60% limit.
| Burning Star "Fixed Star" -- 3 Cards
Flavor Text: Throws a ring of nuclear energy at the opponent. The energy ring moves backwards after a while, and hits the enemy a second time.
| Nuclear Sign "Creeping Sun" -- 3 Cards
Flavor Text: Creates a nuclear reaction in the sky and sun-like projectiles shoot down from the heavens as a result of the nuclear reactions.
| Light Energy "High-Tension Blade" -- 3 Cards
Flavor Text: Creates a blade-like energy beam from Okuu's control rod. Limited energy, but if used at close-range, the move covers quite a large area. She sometimes uses this as a big flashlight...seriously now?
Utsuho charges forward, surrounded by a yellow glow. When she reaches the enemy, she dashes backwards and pelts them with a series of blasts from her cannon. 5 hits, 2900 damage. Super version of her alt 236.
Burning Star "The Ten Suns" -- 4 Cards
Flavor Text: A ball of nuclear energy attacks along a set path. Covers to the top of the screen so can also be used for defense.
| Geothermal "Nuclear Blaze Geyser" -- 4 Cards
Flavor Text: Infuses the ground with nuclear energy, turning the ground to magma and spewing it everywhere. New magma spouts erupt from where magma landed.
| Crow Sign "Yatagarasu Dive" -- 4 Cards
Flavor Text: A fusion reaction occurs within Okuu, and a silhouette in the shape of a brilliantly shining bird attacks the enemy. A skill that shows the true spirit of the hell crow.
| Nuclear Heat "Uncontainable Dive" -- 4 Cards
Flavor Text: Propels herself using a massive amount of fusion energy in this massive attack. Races back and forth across the screen many times to hit the opponent in multiple places.
| "Subterranean Sun" -- 4 Cards
Flavor Text: Draws energy from the earth and creates a sun on the spot. The sun manifests itself and burns everything in the surrounding area.
| Explosion Sign "Giga Flare" -- 5 Cards
Flavor Text: Collects a huge amount of nuclear energy and burns everything in front of her. Extremely powerful with a huge range, but Okuu is completely exposed from the back.
| "Abyss Nova" -- 5 Cards
Flavor Text: A nuclear chain reaction occurs within Okuu and destroys everything in sight once critical mass is reached. The explosion has a large hitbox and can not be blocked. An intense skill, even for her.
Upon activation, Utsuho gradually gathers nuclear energy over the course of 20 or so seconds, as a yellow glow on her sprite intensifies. At the end, she freezes and becomes invulnerable, unleashing her built-up energy in a massive, radiating nuclear explosion that gets wider over time. Unblockable damage, roughly 4,500 worth of it, 50% limit. She'll freeze wherever she is, regardless of being in the air or on the ground. Seems to be grazeable, and the startup is long enough for them to stop whatever they're doing and get out, unfortunately.
Note: In all places where 5AA 6A is used, 2A 6A is also possible for a lower damage variation.
- 5AA 6A 2C/6C - 2828 damage
- Spirit Used: 1
- 5AA 6A 623B/C hjc8 j.8A - 3184 damage
- Spirit Used: 1
- Notes: If the enemy is fully cornered j.8A may miss or knock the opponent out of the corner.
- 5AA/66A Alt 623B/C (Melting Shower Kick) - 2656/2130 damage
- Spirit Used: 1
- Notes: 100% Limit
- 3A 2C - 1858 damage
- Spirit Used: 1
- Alt 236C (Hell Geyser) (non-CH) 5A 3A 2C - 2474 damage
- Spirit Used: 2
- Notes: 100% Limit
- Midscreen only:
- 5AA 6A 2C Alt 236C (Hell Geyser) - 3221 damage
- Spirit Used: 2
- Notes: All 10 hits of 2C are possible, but will limit knockdown with 5 hits.
- 3A/(CH) Alt 236C (Hell Geyser) Alt 236C (Hell Geyser) 5A 3A - 2392/2966 damage
- Spirit Used: 1/2
- 5AA 6A 6C 236C (Hell Geyser level 1) - 3166 damage; 13 hits.
- Spirit Used: 2
- Notes: Limits 100%
- Near Corner only:
- 5AA 6A 5C hjc9 j.8A - 3519 damage
- Spirit Used: 1
- f.5A Wallslam Alt 236C (Hell Geyser) 5A 3A - 2153 damage
- Spirit Used: 1
- Near Corner to Corner:
- 3A 2C 623B - 2300 damage
- Spirit Used: 2
- Notes: Knocks opponent out of the corner ~2-3 body lengths behind where the combo started
- 3A (CH) j.A j.8A j.5C - 2858 damage
- Spirit Used: 1
- Notes: 100% Limit. Fairly strict timing on the j.A. Must be normal jumped into, because high jump puts Utsuho too high.
- 5AA 6A 6C 236B (Hell Geyser level 1) - 3221 damage; 14 hits.
- Spirit Used: 2
- Notes: 100% Limit. Damage varies pending on how many hits you allow with 6C.
- Corner only:
- 5AA 6A 2C (hjc9 j.6A)/22B/623B/Alt 623B (Rocket Dive) - 3140/3100/3190/3494 damage
- Spirit Used: 1/2/2/2
- Notes: j.6A variation might result in opponent and Utsuho exchanging positions. 623B variation knocks opponent out of the corner ~2-3 body lengths behind where the combo started.
- 5AA 3A 5[C] hj8 j.A j.8A - 3365 damage
- Spirit Used: 1
- Notes: Slightly further you can omit j.A for 3151 damage.
- 3A 2C 22B/22C/(hjc9 j.5C) - ~2250/2312-2452 damage
- Spirit Used: 2
- Notes: 22B/C variation only works at very close range. j.5C variation is invalid at max range of 3A and damage is dependent on how early in the 2C you hjc.
- j.2[A] j.2C - 2000-2250 damage
- Spirit Used: 1
- Notes: Limit knockdown only occurs if j.2A hits twice, not once.
- (j.A j.6A)/j.8A 5C j.22B/C - 2517/2296 damage
- Spirit Used: 2
- Notes: Corner/Near Corner only. Causes 100% limit knockdown.
Blockstrings and Traps Edit
While Utsuho users can rely on defensive playing to beat enemies at lower levels, her tactics can put her at a disadvantage when experienced players wise up and learn to bait and beat her maneuvers. Therefore, it's essential to know her blockstrings to keep pressure on opponents whenever Okuu is in front of the opponent at an advantage.
Most pressure Okuu can do at close range has small gaps, which makes her highly vulnerable to strong and speedy graze attacks like Yukari or Yuyuko's 66C. Because Okuu has no solid melee moves that can be canceled after bullets (aside from her Melting Shower Kick and Rocket Dive, both horribly disadvantageous and punishable if blocked), she must instead use high low mixups to score a wrongblock on an opponent, which can be followed up by her bullet moves to make them airtight.
For example, Utsuho does 5AA 6A 6C on Yukari.
- If Yukari correctly blocks 6A, she will be able to 6DC graze attack and score a counterhit on Utsuho. Okuu will have no time to cancel her 6C and high jump out of the way before she is promptly smacked by a signpost.
- If Yukari INCORRECTLY blocks 6A, the increased blockstun from wrongblocking will make the 6C beam by Utsuho airtight. Yukari will not be able to do her grazing signpost attack in between blocking 6A stomp and 6C beam and will be locked in blockstun.